Tuesday 7 June 2016

Wood Cover Sketch Book with pyroengraving

This is a short review of how I built this sketch book and how I got the idea.
Last post I demonstrated some typography on a wooden cardboard. For this project I used a better quality soldering iron to burn the letters in plywood.

There was a time, a few years back, when I needed lots of sketch books for drawing.
With little money in my pocket as a student, this was not the time to spend more money on Moleskine. Instead I used to buy blank paper and build my own sketchbooks.

I am a big fan of sketching, so whenever I get a bright idea I always make some notes or sketch some lines.

After discovering that I can use the soldering iron to make burn marks in wood and cardboard, I started to think of all the things I could personalize and decorate with this technique, and this is where I got the idea to build another sketchbook.


Here is the result.
A close-up of the letters.



This is the pencil drawing before burning the letters. On top left there is the letter concept drawn on paper. I did a lot of sketching before deciding on this typography and symbol.

A test of the concept and lines on scrap wood.

After engraving the letters followed a few layers of sprayed varnish, and left to dry between each layer. The result looks very good, and the wood patterns stand out a bit more.

Cant wait to bind the paper and covers together. Updates coming soon with the finished sketchbook.

If you like this sketch book cover, and would like one yourself, or you would like something similar built for you, send me a custom request via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment