Saturday 12 November 2016

Updates DIY Electric Cello - rounded the neck


The previous section shape was very squared. Until now it did not bother me so much, but for a few months after practicing with fingers more spread out, to reach extended positions, it became very painful to practice.


 Not knowing what to do, I asked a friend to let me practice on his acoustic cello, and it felt really comfortable. This was because the real acoustic cello has the neck a lot thinner than my cello. Over 1.5 cm in width and depth made my fingers really hurt when practicing.
Reducing the width is not an option right now as I do not have the tool to work with that hard ebony wood that makes the fingerboard.

What I could do is make the back profile round as it is on a real cello. And so I started to peel off material.

The end result feel so much more comfortable for the correct hand position, and also allows for easy extended positions.



It still is considerably wider and thicker than a real cello neck, but the roundness makes it so much easier to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment